The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) invites applications for the position of an
Embedded Flight Software Engineer (m/f/d) “Scientific Instrumentation for Space Applications”
AEI is seeking a highly motivated Embedded Flight Software Engineer with a strong interest in space projects. The successful candidate will lead the software development at our institute for the future Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA), an ESA-led L-class space mission.
The applicant will join a multi-disciplinary team at the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute). The AEI is a world-leading research center specializing in gravity, gravitational waves and precision laser interferometry. The institute has locations in Potsdam and in Hannover. One focal point of the “Laser Interferometry in Space” group and the new department for Precision Interferometry and Fundamental Interactions in Hannover is the detection of gravitational waves with LISA. More information can be found at https://www.aei.mpg.de/interferometry-in-space
The “Laser Interferometry in Space” group has a significant record of outstanding contributions to the success of the LISA Pathfinder mission and the US-German GRACE Follow-On (Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment) mission. The AEI in Hannover leads the consortium activities for the LISA project and is for example responsible for the design, construction and testing of an Engineering Model for the Phase Readout System which is the core Data Processor Unit of the LISA payload.
AEI is seeking an Embedded Flight Software Engineer with proven experience in space projects to join our excellent team of scientists and engineers dedicated to the LISA mission. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development of the software of the Phase Readout Instrument, with a special focus on unit operation, data handling and interface implementation for communication to the onboard computer. The applicant will strengthen our team and supervise the development of the software and coordinate its verification with our industrial partners.
A university degree (diploma, master) and experience as an embedded software engineer is a prerequisite for the application. Good communication skills and a good command over written and spoken English is mandatory. A PhD degree in software engineering or in a comparable field is beneficial.
Furthermore, the ideal candidate:
- Collaborated with electronics engineers and firmware engineers
- Designed and developed application software for flight and ground systems
- Has experience in space engineering and worked with subcontractors and vendors
- Understands the life cycle of an instrument (design, implementation, verification, HW integration, maintenance)
- Teaches and transfers knowledge to researchers/software developers
- Efficiently and cooperatively works in a multi-disciplinary team
Work in an international research environment benefitting from regular interactions with a dedicated project team, as well as the opportunity to benefit from the wide range of expertise at the Albert Einstein Institute.
- Close collaboration with leading international partners in science, industry and space agencies
- Full time position with competitive salary according to the pay scale of public services in Germany for engineers, fully integrated in the comprehensive German social security scheme (health insurance, unemployment insurance etc.). Part-time employment can be arranged upon request
- To be filled as soon as possible, initially for 2 years, with an option for a permanent position
- Access to world-class laboratories, workshops and computing facilities
- Opportunity to participate in our multidisciplinary lectures as well as transferable skills seminars
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability. The AEI and the Max Planck Society welcome persons with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. The institute promotes a healthy work-life balance by offering all employees a family support service.
We have aroused your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your complete application (CV incl. letter of motivation, letter(s) of recommendation, university diplomas) without a photograph, which you should submit as a single PDF document exclusively via our online application portal. In case of problems with the application form, please contact jobs(at)aei.mpg.de.
For further information please contact Dr.-Ing. Juan José Esteban: Email: juan.jose.esteban(at)aei.mpg.de
Please find here full details: https://www.aei.mpg.de/996835/embedded-flight-software-engineer